Top 10 Canadian Hospitality Jobs
A hospitality job is one where you need strong people skills or soft skills. The most common hospitality jobs are in the hotel and restaurant business. However, they are necessary for all industries. In this article, you will read about the top 10 hospitality jobs in Canada that you can get with a Canada job Visa.
Canada is a multicultural country that promotes, accepts, and encourages a foreign workforce. And being a tourist destination, the hospitality industry is a big part of the Canadian economy. The country is vast and has long restaurant chains and cafes. Therefore, people with valid Canada job visas and work permits will find plenty of vacancies for experienced chefs, cooks, and waitresses.
This industry is vast; besides hotels and restaurants, you can find hospitality jobs in Casinos, Recreational facilities like theme parks, cruises, and bars. In addition, there are various job titles in the hospitality industry. Here are the top 10 jobs hospitality jobs in Canada:
- Concierge: a hotel employee who helps book tours for his guests, makes theaters, reserves restaurants, etc. They need good organizational ability and a sense of humor. In addition, they must be friendly, outgoing, and able to work in a team.
- Cruise Ship Attendant: their responsibilities include, assisting ship operation, serving food and drinks, maintaining cabins and public areas, leading entertainment activities, etc. They must have high attention to detail, patience, the ability to remain calm, and ability to accept criticism, sensitivity, and excellent verbal communication.
- Front Desk Associate: The first person you see when you walk into a hospital, hotel, etc. A front desk associate will be responsible for performing administrative duties. Their skills must include communication, multitasking, organization, interpersonal skills, problem-solving ability, and dependability.
- Front Desk Supervisor: they manage the front lobby of an institution, including welcoming guests, getting their information, assigning rooms, etc. In addition, they must address the problems of their guests, collect payments, and settle the register. They must have excellent management skills and experience in customer relations, in addition to an outgoing personality.
- Front Office Attendant: a person who performs day-to-day administrative tasks in offices, including scheduling and confirming appointments, redirecting incoming calls, and welcoming visitors. They should have excellent phone etiquette, listening ability, and ability to work varying and extended shifts.
- Guest Services Associate: their responsibilities include greeting guests, check-ins, check-outs, providing front desk services, assigning rooms, etc. They must have communication skills, business sense, problem-solving ability, and flexibility.
- Chef Cook: a person who has had training in preparing food at a hotel or a restaurant. They must be able to work in a fast-paced and high-stress environment.
- Hotel Clerk: A person who works with records, accounts, letters, etc., in a hotel environment. A hotel clerk must be tech-savvy and have excellent verbal and written communication. They also must be polite and patient.
- Hotel Receptionist: A person whose main duty is to answer calls, receive visitors, and answer their queries. They must have a pleasant manner, be patient with customers, and must be able to work under pressure.
- Reservation Agent: A person responsible for booking services that include rooms, tables, flights, trains, etc. A reservation agent must have excellent customer service skills.
Skills Required for Hospitality Jobs
Being in the hospitality industry could be stressful. However, if you ensure that you have the following skills or interests, you can enjoy the job. Some of the skills/interests you need are as follows.
- Detail Oriented: People love a person who has great attention to detail. Hence, hospitality jobs require people to be detail-oriented.
- Dedication to Excellence: This job helps people have an excellent experience. So you must feel that need for excellence.
- Creativity: You must be creative to grab people’s attention and keep them entertained. And sometimes you might need to think of out-of-the-box solutions for a problem.
- Teamwork: You must be able to work with various people from different cultures. Thus, an excellent team spirit is necessary for a hospitality professional.
- Organization: You may need to focus on lots of tasks without losing quality in any of them. And you won’t be able to do that without keeping yourself organized.
How do you Immigrate to Canada to work in the Hospitality industry?
There are different Canadian programs, like the Ontario immigrant nominee program, that can help you move to Canada. However, you must choose according to your interests. A few popular programs are below:
- Express Entry
- LIMA job offer
- Provincial Nominee Program
- Atlantic Immigration Program
- Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program,
In Conclusion, plenty of hospitality jobs are available in Canada, but you need a visa and permit to work. You can leverage various Canadian immigration programs to get a Canada job visa and work permit. However, you must first decide the type of job you want and ensure that you have the necessary skills.